Same-Day Porcelain Inlays and Onlays | Akron, OH Family and Cosmetic Dentist
Tooth decay is a common condition referring to tooth structure damage. If left untreated, a cavity can form, a hole in your tooth’s enamel that leaves the tooth pulp and root susceptible to infection.
At Eberhardt Dentistry, we offer several solutions to fill cavities and prevent decay, including fillings and dental crown placements. However, in some cases, a filling is insufficient to mend a cavity, and a crown placement may be too much.
Inlays and onlays are a conservative alternative to dental crowns, and they are useful in mending larger cavities or damage to your tooth. We offer porcelain inlay and onlay solutions as a same-day service, ensuring the treatment is as convenient as possible.
What Are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are porcelain, gold, or composite resin dental restorations we use to repair large cavities and other forms of damage to the tooth’s biting surface.
An inlay fills tooth cavities on the surfaces between the cusps. An onlay covers a larger surface than an inlay, including the cusps. Onlays work in a similar way as dental crowns, and they are of similar materials. However, unlike crowns, onlays don’t cover the entire tooth surface.
The Inlay and Onlay Application Procedure
When you come in for a dental inlay or onlay, we’ll complete the entire procedure within a single visit:
- We examine the tooth to determine whether you need an inlay or an onlay.
- We clean the tooth thoroughly and take a digital impression of it to generate a virtual model.
- Using special software and your tooth’s impression, we design an inlay or onlay to fit the cavity.
- Our in-office milling machine creates the piece with the correct shade to match your natural tooth.
- We fit the inlay or onlay to your tooth and cement it in place.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and onlays offer several benefits:
- Treatment that preserves as much of the tooth as possible
- Allows for an easy home dental care routine, including brushing and flossing
- Results that can last for up to thirty years or longer
- A relatively comfortable and non-invasive, conservative procedure
Schedule State-Of-The-Art Dental Work With Eberhardt Dentistry
With daily brushing and flossing and regular dental visits, you can reduce your risk of tooth decay and cavities. If you experience tooth sensitivity or toothache, schedule an appointment at our dental offices in Akron, OH.